Brisbane River by Bike - Brisbane
Your Brisbane River tour by bike will look like this:
* Meeting to collect our bikes at the Botanic Gardens, we head through the historic gardens, learning a little about its history.
* Making our way down to the riverfront, we start our journey along this lifeline of Brisbane. As we ride past the Brisbane CBD, well learn about some of the early days of the settlement. We also touch on the Aboriginal way of life before Europeans, and the hard struggles they have faced since their arrival.
* We stop to check out historic Customs House, Eagle Street Pier, and the Storey Bridge. From here we continue along the custom built floating pedestrian and cycle track as we head along the Brisbane River, past some of the best real estate in Queensland, learning about the area and some local stories along the way.
* We take a rest at a favourite local spot, Merthyr Bowls Club, for a drink. Perfectly located right on the river, it's a cool vantage point to see the boats and ferries travelling along the river.
* Moving on, our next stop is Newfarm Park, formerly a farm for the penal colonies and a racecourse.
* We then reach Brisbane Powerhouse, a former government power station which was converted 10 years ago into a cultural and performing arts centre. Take some time to stroll around the building and see some of the exhibits on display.
* We end our tour with a brief ride down to the local ferry stop, where we board for the brief journey along the river back to city, where we drop off our bikes at Botanic Gardens.
* The cycle route is almost completely flat, and we ride at a slow pace. Total time cycling is around 45 minutes, with regular stops.